Think. Encourage. Create.

Monday, January 23, 2012

Music to Worship By

Tonight I was listening to classical piano music as I had my quiet time with the Lord.  I do this often as I have noisy neighbors and it helps me block out their TV's and video games and focus my mind.  As I began to read (Psalm 78), the song playing was Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.  The cadence of the sonata fit so well with the cadence of the Psalm and I began to think about how so many psalms were the worship songs of the day. And I felt a stirring in my heart... the words seemed even more moving with the music behind them.

I know right now I could share my thoughts on modern Christian Music, and believe me, I have my opinions, but tonight... I'd rather be lost in the beauty of worshiping the Lord in song and thinking of how it connects all of God's people through time.  How did it feel to the Israelites to sing these songs we see printed in our Bibles?  How did David feel when he composed them?  How did he feel when he danced before the Lord?  I know that tonight my heart was soaring as I read about the many times God rescued His people, and sinking as I read of their lack of faith in Him... their testings and trials and exiles, and then at peace while pondering how He saved them, and us, all undeserving and yet so loved.

Listening to or playing the Moonlight Sonata is a frequent occurrence in my home.  I love that song and there is just something so soothing about it, it always calms my heart and mind, whether I am stressed out or anxious or sad... but now it will have even more meaning for me.  From tonight forward, when I hear or play it, it will remind me to think on the Lord's deliverance and delight in the One who created Song.

No comments:

Post a Comment